Tips to Get Your Agoura Hills, CA Deck Ready for Spring; Cleaning, Termite Damage & Dry Rot Repair & More
Though it seems like winter will never end with all the rain we’ve been having, it will be spring before you blink. There are a number of projects that should be tackled well before the weather starts improving, and getting your deck ready is one of them. After all, the deck is most enjoyable when the spring air is fresh, plants are awakened and kids are carefree and enjoying the sunshine. Today, we at McKay’s Painting would like to share some tips and advice on how you can make your deck ready for spring.
How to Prepare Your Deck; Exterior Pressure Wash Cleaning, Dry Rot & Termite Repair, Restoration, Covers & More
1) Thorough Cleaning & Pressure Washing. When we say clean your deck, it’s a little more involved than sweeping a layer of dirt away. Begin removing the clutter; pull away the patio furniture, toys, trash, debris, dirt, mud, and piles of unused materials. Make sure the deck is bare; this will help you to not be tempted to simply work around the grill, or other furnishings. Once everything is completely removed, you can start your thorough cleaning. A sturdy broom is more useful to sweep the deck; but don’t neglect all the nooks and crevices. All dirt and mud should be ultimately removed from the surface. Grab your push broom to and go over it once more to get the finer dirt brushed off. If you have any areas that are stubborn, use a blunt scraper to knock the dirt loose. Using a professional power washing is well worth the investment, as the job is far more thorough and is done much faster.
2) Deck Repairs & Refinishing Restoration. Once the deck is completely dry from any spot removal or power washing service, evaluate the deck boards. Worn boards may need to be replaced, blemishes sanded away, and any missing or loosened screws or nails replaced. When sanding, be sure to use the appropriate grain to do the job without adding any damage. New wood deck screws and nails must be used. Don’t reuse the old ones; they are most likely in poor condition to come loose on the first place. After the cleaning and maintenance has been completed, select the wood finish you desire. Make sure the finish is designed for exterior use and can withstand the general climate and average weather conditions. Label directions must be followed with adequate drying time.
3) Dry Rot & Termite Damage Repair. Without proper water sealing, wooden decks and porches can experience wood rot. Water remaining on wood decks for a long period of time seeps into the porous wood surfaces and swells deck planks. The absorbed water then creates soft or spongy areas, rotting the wood and compromising the integrity of your deck or porch. The deeper the wood rot, the more likely the wood needs to be replaced with new deck boards. Termites eat wood from the inside out so damage often goes undetected for a long time. Termite ravaged boards need to be replaced as they affect the integrity of your deck.
4) Deck Upgrades. If you have the budget you can impose some much desired upgrades. Such upgrades can include: misters, ambient lighting, outdoor umbrellas, a ceiling fan, or even an outdoor kitchen if your deck is large enough. Professionals offer consulting services to help you find the best upgrades such as deck and patio covers which we install!
5) Replace Furnishings & Accessories. After hours of hard work, time used and money invested to get your deck in pristine condition, make sure all the furniture and such are properly cleaned off before you replace them on the deck. Enjoy your newly restored deck ready for outdoor entertaining!
Deck Cleaning, Dry Rot & Termite Repair, Restoration, Patio Covers & More in Ventura, Ojai, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks & Agoura Hills California
If you need help getting your deck restored, contact McKay’s Painting, and let our experts gets your deck looking crisp and vibrant once again. McKays Painting are standing by for all your painting related needs.