Most siding composes the very outside layer of your home’s exterior and serves to protect and insulate. The siding on your home can last for a long time. Because of that, many homeowners don’t think about it too much. But over time siding will get old and start to crack and break. This can lead to moisture leaking in and if you don’t take care of, it can lead to more serious and expensive repairs. Luckily, there are telltale signs that it’s time for siding replacement.
Signs Your House Needs New Siding
1. Higher heating and cooling bills. Higher utility bills can be an indication of many problems. One problem might be your siding and the insulation it provides. Poorly performing siding cause heating or cooling to escape.
2. Peeling paint or wallpaper in the home. When paint peels or wallpaper pulls away from your walls it can be an indication that moisture is seeping into the wallboard. This may be due to faulty siding.
3. Cracked or loose siding. A few boards of loose siding after a storm aren’t cause for alarm. These can be replaced with ease. If you see sections of cracked or loose siding, it indicates a more sever problem and needs to be addressed.
4. Bubbles in the siding. Siding is supposed to keep moisture out. Bubbles under the siding are a sign that water has become trapped underneath it.
5. Holes in the siding. Holes in siding might be caused by insects. These holes can allow moisture to get in and mark the beginning of potentially costly repairs.
6. Warping or rotting siding. It is possible for siding to look good when the bulk of the material has rotted away. Inspect your siding with a sharp object and poke under areas of concern. If you find rotting, you will need immediate replacement.
7. Fungus, mold or mildew on siding. Water that is penetrating your siding can cause fungus, mold and mildew to start growing. Signs of fungus, mold and mildew growth don’t necessarily mean you have faulty siding, but you could.
8. Faded siding. Siding that fades severely is cause for concern. All siding has a lifespan and should hold its color for as long as it’s supposed to last. If your siding is so old that the color has faded, it’s a sign that the effective waterproofing of the siding has reached the end.
Siding Repair, Installation & Replacement & More in Ventura, Ojai, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills & Santa Barbara California
The single biggest change you can make to the exterior of your home is updating your siding. The surface area and the skill needed makes it a substantial investment. Any homeowner will want to make sure that this update is being done out of necessity. Whether you are building a new home or just doing some updating, new siding can improve the appearance and curb appeal of your house while increasing the overall value of your home. You will want to hire the right company to do it. McKay’s Painting has experts that are fully certified and trained. Call us to schedule services today!