Mold on the wall or ceiling can be a major problem and even threaten those inside the home. Mold as it develops inside the home needs to be treated. However, many people don’t always do it properly or safely. Many people will quickly paint over the mold and assume the problem has been taken care of. However, that’s not the case. McKay’s Painting will share why you can’t simply paint over mold and how to properly treat mold on walls and ceilings.
What to Know About Mold on Walls in Your Home
It is important to understand what mold is as it can pose a major threat to everyone inside the home. Mold is a type of fungus. Most species of mold are born in damp, moist areas. Mold is frequently found in areas such as the bathroom, kitchens, or in areas that have been effected by water damage. Depending on the species of mold that develops, the health effects can vary. Some mold is not as dangerous as others. However, other types of mold can be life threatening. Mold can be tested to know what is inside your home. One aspect of mold that makes them dangerous is that they release spores into the air which is how they spread. If a person or animal breathes these spores in, it can lead to allergies, asthma attacks, or respiratory infections or illness. As mold can lead to serious problems it is important to properly treat mold that is found inside the home. Along with health problems, mold can also degrade the surface it grows on damaging the home from the inside.
Warning Signs of Mold in Your House
Mold is pretty obvious. As it begins to develop you will often see the mold growing on the surface. However, mold can begin to grow underneath paint or within the drywall. One common sign that mold is growing inside the wall or underneath the paint is that the paint will begin to bubble. Yellowish stains on the wall or ceiling is the presence of water damage where mold will often begin to develop. When signs of mold begin to emerge it is important to treat the problem right away. Allowing mold time to spread is never a good idea.
Treatment & Removal of Mold
When mold appears inside the home and is on the wall or ceiling it is important to kill the mold and determine the source of the moisture. First look for the source of the moisture. The water damage may require in depth repairs such as leaking pipes, damaged water heater or appliances. Determine the source of the water damage then do the needed repairs. Depending on the state of the ceiling or walls you may need to cut out the damaged section and replace the dry wall altogether. In other cases the surface where the mold began to develop can be treated with bleach. Lightly spray down the surface with bleach and leave the wall to fully dry. Open the doors and windows to help air out the site and reduce mold particles in the air. You may need to wipe down the walls and bleach them a couple of times to completely kill the mold. If the mold is deep within the drywall then remove the drywall and replace it. Once the mold has been treated make sure to prime the wall and then repaint as the paint and primer can help protect the wall from water damage in the future.
Interior & Exterior Painting & More in Ventura, Ojai, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills & Santa Barbara California
For drywall repair, or painting services, contact McKay’s Painting and schedule our services today.