Tips to Get Your Agoura Hills, CA Deck Ready for Spring; Cleaning, Termite Damage & Dry Rot Repair & More
Though it seems like winter will never end with all the rain we’ve been having, it will be spring before you blink. There are a number of projects that should be tackled well before the weather starts improving, and getting your deck ready is one of them. After all, the deck is most enjoyable when the spring air is fresh, plants are awakened and kids are carefree and enjoying the sunshine. Today, we at McKay’s Painting would like to share some tips and advice on how you can make your deck ready for spring.
How to Prepare Your Deck; Exterior Pressure Wash Cleaning, Dry Rot & Termite Repair, Restoration, Covers & More
1) Thorough Cleaning & Pressure Washing. When we say clean your deck, it’s a little more involved than sweeping a layer of dirt away. Begin removing the clutter; pull away the patio furniture, toys, trash, debris, dirt, mud, and piles of unused materials. Make sure the deck is bare; this will help you to not be tempted to simply work around the grill, or other furnishings. Once everything is completely removed, you can start your thorough cleaning. A sturdy broom is more useful to sweep the deck; but don’t neglect all the nooks and crevices. All dirt and mud should be ultimately removed from the surface. Grab your push broom to and go over it once more to get the finer dirt brushed off. If you have any areas that are stubborn, use a blunt scraper to knock the dirt loose. Using a professional power washing is well worth the investment, as the job is far more thorough and is done much faster.
2) Deck Repairs & Refinishing Restoration. Once the deck is completely dry from any spot removal or power washing service, evaluate the deck boards. Worn boards may need to be replaced, blemishes sanded away, and any missing or loosened screws or nails replaced. When sanding, be sure to use the appropriate grain to do the job without adding any damage. New wood deck screws and nails must be used. Don’t reuse the old ones; they are most likely in poor condition to come loose on the first place. After the cleaning and maintenance has been completed, select the wood finish you desire. Make sure the finish is designed for exterior use and can withstand the general climate and average weather conditions. Label directions must be followed with adequate drying time.
3) Dry Rot & Termite Damage Repair. Without proper water sealing, wooden decks and porches can experience wood rot. Water remaining on wood decks for a long period of time seeps into the porous wood surfaces and swells deck planks. The absorbed water then creates soft or spongy areas, rotting the wood and compromising the integrity of your deck or porch. The deeper the wood rot, the more likely the wood needs to be replaced with new deck boards. Termites eat wood from the inside out so damage often goes undetected for a long time. Termite ravaged boards need to be replaced as they affect the integrity of your deck.
4) Deck Upgrades. If you have the budget you can impose some much desired upgrades. Such upgrades can include: misters, ambient lighting, outdoor umbrellas, a ceiling fan, or even an outdoor kitchen if your deck is large enough. Professionals offer consulting services to help you find the best upgrades such as deck and patio covers which we install!
5) Replace Furnishings & Accessories. After hours of hard work, time used and money invested to get your deck in pristine condition, make sure all the furniture and such are properly cleaned off before you replace them on the deck. Enjoy your newly restored deck ready for outdoor entertaining!
Deck Cleaning, Dry Rot & Termite Repair, Restoration, Patio Covers & More in Ventura, Ojai, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks & Agoura Hills California
If you need help getting your deck restored, contact McKay’s Painting, and let our experts gets your deck looking crisp and vibrant once again. McKays Painting are standing by for all your painting related needs.
The front door to your home can make an impression. If your front door has peeling paint, it can be unsightly to look at and picking the right color will set the tone for the rest of your house. Positive energy with any freshly painted color, whether it’s a vibrant red or a stately blue, will great you each time you come home. You’ll feel the energy each time as the first day it was painted. It doesn’t matter which color you choose, there are steps to take to make sure it’s well taken care of for years to come.
How Often Will You Need to Repaint Your Front Door?
Your front door will need to withstand all the elements from the bright sun and the moisture from rain and snow that can lead to possible wood rot. You will enter your home daily and it will go through wear and tear. Pets and children can be tough on doors too. Over the years, it will need maintenance and should be repainted every seven to ten years. If you happen to be thinking of selling your home, your front door needs to look great. While interior enamel paint is tough and durable, you definitely don’t want to paint your exterior door with it. The good news is that paint is getting better and the newer exterior acrylic enamel paint that is formulated for doors is better than the older enamel paints. They are now more flexible, better at holding color, won’t need to be re-painted as often and contain mildewcides designed to protect your door from the elements. You will need to refinish more often if you have a natural stain or varnish. The more sun a front door gets will also require more painting. The stain will need to be sanded off before its re-stained and re-varnished.
Exterior Paint Preparation & Best Time to Paint
The door should be cleaned with a possible sanding before it’s repainted. Each door is different and will need different prep. If there’s wood damage, it will need to be taken care of beforehand. If there isn’t a lot of prep, you can probably paint a few hours after it’s done. Make sure to pick a day with good weather. Usually the best time to paint doors is in the spring or fall when temperatures are moderate. It’s a good idea to remove all the hardware for a clean finish. The door should stay open so it won’t stick to the weather stripping and allow a few hours to dry. So don’t pick a rainy day to paint.
How to Pick a Front Door Color
One of the biggest decisions a homeowner can make for the exterior of their home in the color of the front door. A splash of color can burst curb appeal and make your front entry more welcoming. Almost any color family can look good if you pick the right hue. It will also depend on the style of door you have as some colors will simply look better on a modern door or a contemporary one. Green houses can look great with an ebony door, a bold red or a crisp white and homes with a stone exterior pair well with a red or green door to add a splash of color to an already neutral palette.
Professional Painting Services in Ventura, Ojai, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks & Agoura Hills California
You can trust McKay’s Painting to help you decide on a color and have your door or other interior or exterior surfaces painted to perfection. Contact us today.
Modern Trim Styles in Camarillo, CA; Different Types of Baseboard, Crown Molding, Door Trim & Wainscoting
You can increase the value and look of your home with the right woodwork and of course color. From crown molding, wainscoting, baseboards, and trim work you can improve the sale of your home and your own desired look. However there are a few things to consider when planning on adding extra woodwork to your home. McKay’s Painting will share a few tips and ideas you might consider when planning on adding to the look of your home.
Quality Trim Materials & Skilled Installers
If you are seeking to increase the sale of your home be aware that damaged or poorly installed trim, baseboards, crown molding and wainscoting can decrease the value and lower your chances of a quick sale. For those who want to improve the look of the home and fit their own personality, you shouldn’t have to deal with the same problem either. Make sure you have good material and a good installer(s).
Baseboard & Woodwork Trim Profile Ideas to Suit Room Size
When choosing your woodwork, be sure to choose wisely. Fit the trim to the look and feel of your home and personality. You don’t want to have a colonial style trim with a modern feel or theme. Now deciding on the type of trim and woodwork will also greatly depend on the size of the room and how high the ceilings are. You can lessen the chances of selling your home if the woodwork creates a negative feel in the room. The wrong kind of trim or too much trim can make the room feel smaller. Larger rooms with high or tall ceilings have the greatest potential for a variety of options. Crown molding looks great with tall ceilings. Additionally, you could even add wainscoting or baseboards without making the room seem smaller. However this is a mistake if it’s a smaller room or you have a low ceiling. If you desire the look of crown molding but you have low ceilings, don’t make the molding too wide. In this case the thinner the better and avoid wainscoting. Low ceiling rooms should only have baseboards and thinner crown molding if it’s something you really want. However you can get fancy with window and door trim.
Wall & Trim Color Combinations
After you have considered the room size, the next thing to consider is color. You will find white trim work is most popular because white trim works well anywhere. Nonetheless, you needn’t feel stuck with it either. Although smaller room does feel bigger with white trim, there are other options if you don’t want to use it. You can use your trim work as accent color to the room or even introduce a third accent color. Then you even have the natural wood look bringing a rustic old fashioned feel to your home. The color of the wood stain can help determine the feel to a home. You can create anything from rustic, to colonial, to modern.
What Room is the Trim Going In?
The final thing you should consider is which room you are putting the trim in. Kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms have a lot of humidity and moisture. In these rooms, make sure your woodwork is well protected if you choose to put any trim work in those areas.
Baseboard, Crown Molding, Door Trim & Wainscoting Installation, Painting & More in Ventura, Ojai, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks & Agoura Hills California
The right kind of woodwork or trim can make a home feel more welcoming and therefore more desirable. You will find it a worthwhile investment to your home that will last for years to come. If you are considering installing trim or any kind of woodwork, McKay’s Painting can assist you in this project. Contact us for more information.